WordPress 3.8 has already been released! This version is a maintenance release, and includes various fixes and improvements for the new dashboard design and new themes admin screen.
After downloading it, you‘ll find out that the major improvements are related to the administration interface which has been greatly upgraded. Its basic enhancements are:
- The modern, fresh and uncluttered design this version uses in the entire admin interface. The dashboard has no overbearing gradients, no shades of grey, and provides you clarity and simplicity.
- The interface is faster than the past versions, therefore pages load significantly faster!
- Significantly improved responsiveness, and the smart phone/ tablet access is faster and more usable.
- Twenty Fourteen is the new default theme with a fully responsive layout. Firstly, this theme lets you make sleek magazine-style sites. Then, it permits you to display important content of the homepage either in a grid form or in a slider form. Moreover, you can customize your site with three widget areas or use a layout with two page templates.
- Theme management is refined. A new themes screen lets you survey themes at a glance. If you would like to find more information about a theme, you should simply click on it!
- Open Sans is the default typeface. It looks clearer, gives friendly text and advances readability.
- New vector-based icons scaling to your screen are used instead of images.
- Based on your personality, you can choose one among eight admin colour schemes in your profile.
- Finally, widget experience is smoother. Referring to a large monitor device, multiple widget areas stack side by side to use the available space. There is also a new click-to- add function for adding widgets to sidebars.
WordPress is the most popular CMS and blogging system in use on the web at more than 60 million websites. WP undeniably runs more websites out there than any other competitors on the block (Drupal, Joomla, Typo3, etc.). Version 3.8 will further strengthen WP position in the CMS and blogging engines market because of its efficiency, simplicity and vast developer community.